Killer whale (Orcinus orca)
- Distinct black and white colouration
- white patch behind eye
- white ventral surface (belly)
- grey saddle patch behind dorsal fin
- Dorsal fin
- male – tall, upright, up to 2 m in height
- female – curved and smaller
- Approximately 7 – 8 m
- Distinct populations with specific features – ecotypes
- Some individuals travel over large distances and likely have a large home range
How you can help with killer whale science?
Report your sightings via Facebook Killer Whales Australia.