Common dolphin (Delphinus delphis)
- Hourglass colouration on flank – transitions from gold to grey
- Darker dorsal area
- Triangular dorsal fin with paler centre
Maximum 2.7 m
- Common dolphins are typically observed offshore, often migrating with prey events
- A small, nursery community resides in Port Phillip
- Common dolphins can be seen in super pods comprising of 1000+ individuals. In Port Phillip, groups usually comprise of less than 10 individuals
How you can help with common dolphin science?
Report your common dolphin sightings to the Victorian Common Dolphin Project.